A Word from the Economist
Always in touch with the latest in real estate news, A Word from the Economist presents invaluable opinions and information on the key issues facing Québec’s real estate market.
Property sales in the single-family home, condominium and plex categories vary over time and their relative proportion of sales varies substantially by region. For the province as a whole, the proportion of condominium sales is approximately 24 per cent. But the story is quite different on the Island of Montreal, where condominium sales account for well above 50 per cent of transactions.
- Condos Now Account For More Than Half of All Sales on the Island of Montreal
- How Affordable is Real Estate in Québec?
- Residential Resale Market: Quebecers’ Buying Intentions Remain Strong
- Québec’s Top Residential Real Estate Markets in 2018
- Residential Real Estate Market Outlook: 2019 Will Be Another Banner Year
- Number of Residential Foreclosures Decreases Despite Rise in Mortgage Rates
- Buying a Home: How Much Time Does it Take for a Young Couple in Québec to Save for a Down Payment?
- The Popularity of Plexes
- A Growing Number of Properties are Selling Above the Asking Price
- A Record Number of Vacation Properties Were Sold in Québec in 2017
- Which Has a Greater Impact on Mortgages in Arrears: Employment, Property Prices or Interest Rates?
- Québec’s Top Residential Real Estate Markets in 2017
- Québec Residential Real Estate Market: 2017 Activity Report & 2018 Outlook
- Québec’s Top Residential Real Estate Markets in 2017
- Consumer Confidence and Real Estate Market Performance go
- Use of the HBP Drops in Québec
- Residential Real Estate in Québec: Strong Momentum in the Higher Price Ranges
- Reviewed and Updated Forecasts for 2017
- 2016 Report: What Regions Stood Out the Most in Québec’s Residential Real Estate Market?
- The Vacation Property Segment Continued to Grow in 2016
- Condominium resale prices: let’s talk square feet
- It’s Inevitable: Mortgage Tightening Measures Will Slow Québec’s Resale Market in 2017
- The Effect of Proximity to Public Transit on Property Values
- Rainstorm of New Mortgage Rules: A Cold Shower for the Québec Real Estate Market
- Oversupply of Condominiums: More Fear than Actual Harm
- Current Portrait of Condominium Fees in Québec
- 4% of Quebecers are Seriously Considering Buying a Property in the Next Year
- A New Look at the Intergenerational Home Resale Market
- 2015: A Great Year for Resort Properties in Québec
- 2015 condominium prices per square foot
- Outlook for 2016: Second Consecutive Increase in Residential Sales is Forecasted
- The High-end Residential Market is Booming in Québec
- Walkability and Property Values
- No Recession for the Residential Real Estate Market
- Québec’s Residential Real Estate Market: the QFREB Boosts its Forecasts
- Market Conditions in Québec Have Stabilized Since the Start of 2015
- Foreclosures: First Increase in Québec in Five Years
- Indebtedness, Insolvency and Mortgages in Arrears: The Situation in Québec
- How will the latest lowering of the key interest rate affect mortgage rates in Canada?
- Outlook for the 2015 Residential Real Estate Market in Québec: Increase in Sales and Relative Price Stability
- The Importance of Taking Seasonal Patterns into Account in the Analysis of Real Estate Market Statistics
- Resort Properties in Québec
- Are Intergenerational Homes Gaining in Popularity in Québec?
- Update on our Forecasts
- Plex Resale Market: Retrospective Analysis of the Past Ten Years and Average Price “Per Dwelling” in the Main Neighbourhoods
- Foreclosures in Québec Decrease for a Fourth Consecutive Year
- Condominiums: Average Price per Square Foot
- Highlights of the Survey on Quebecers’ Buying and Selling Intentions
- Outlook for the 2014 Residential Real Estate Market in Québec: Soft Landing Will Continue
- Homeownership Rate Increases in Québec but Remains Well Below the Rest of Canada
- The Fourth Round of Mortgage Tightening, One Year Later
- Update to our Initial 2013 Forecasts
- Foreclosures in Québec Decrease for a Third Consecutive Year in 2012
- Real Estate Market: Sellers No Longer in Dominant Position
- Encouraging Signs on the U.S. Residential Real Estate Market
- How much per square foot for a condominium?
- Slowdown Expected in Province’s Residential Real Estate Market in 2013
- No Sales Slowdown for Properties That Sold for $500,000 or More
- Smaller Households… in Smaller Houses
- Condominium Sales Lose Momentum
- More and More Properties Sold Through the MLS® System are New Constructions
- Why Have Mortgage Interest Rates Reached Historically Low Levels?
- Number of Foreclosures Decreased Once Again in Québec in 2011
- Affordability: Have Québec Properties Really Become Unaffordable?
- Factors That Explain Property Price Changes in Québec
- 2012 Outlook for the Residential Real Estate Market in Québec: Momentum Will Continue
- Condominium Sales are Most Sensitive to Economic Fluctuations
- Plex Prices Temporarily Influenced by Recent Tightening of Mortgage Insurance Rules
- The Recent Tightening of Mortgage Insurance Rules and Their Impact on Residential Sales in Québec
- Condominiums: No Longer Restricted to Large Urban Centres
- The Importance of Tracking Consumer Confidence
- Number of Foreclosures Decreased in Québec in 2010
- Residential Real Estate Prices More Than Doubled in Québec Between 2000 and 2010
- Factors That Determine Mortgage Rates in Canada
- 2011 Real Estate Market Outlook: Slight Moderation Ahead